Blonde at a Wat

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Loy Krathong in Flooded Bangkok. Ironic?

Loy Krathong is a holiday celebrated in November annually here in Thailand. It's a time to give thanks and apologize to the Water Gods. You float a Krathong in the river (or khlong) and make a wish as you do. This year, I've heard something new about Krathongs. I made paper ones with my students today and a Thai teacher told us to place 1 baht on our Krathong as well as a piece of our hair so the Water Gods know that the Krathong is yours. These weren't proper Thai Krathongs but since the area is flooded it seemed that only a toned down celebration was in order.

I had terrible luck last year for Loy Krathong. My Krathong tipped over immediately after I placed it in the water! That could not have been good luck!!! This year, my paper Krathong floated nicely into the kids' swimming pool and I made quite the wish....let's hope it comes true!

Happy Loy Krathong. Think about Thailand today and wish this country and it's beautiful people good luck in this difficult time.

(I also found this photo well suited for this holiday and situation here in Thailand.)

Until next time...
-Blonde in Bangkok


No comments:

Post a Comment