Blonde at a Wat

Sunday, November 6, 2011

An SEC Blonde in Bangkok

My first comment on this blog yesterday asked about life here in Bangkok.

nervous...!
Well, life for me at this time consists of American football on weekends. Being in Bangkok and trying to keep up with American sports is difficult, to say the least. If it's not the 12 hour time difference, it's the fact that almost nowhere in this city plays American sports. It's all soccer (which they call "football", as an American this offends me :) ) & rugby. And I've actually found myself enjoying rugby but hey - it's not SEC NCAA football game!).

Today was the biggest game of the year (so far) for college football fans. A showdown between the number one (LSU) and number two (alabama) teams in the nation. Of course, I could not miss it! It was primetime back home in the States which just so happens to be 7 am here in Bangkok!

How does one enjoy football at 7 am?? It's much different than it would be in the States. I had to force myself out of bed at 6 am to make sure I had a website that could stream it live. Unfortunately, the Thai government has now banned my favorite site to stream football games. Just in the nick of time, I found a site with the live game and it was perfect time for kickoff!

Purple chocolate chip pancakes
This doesn't sound much different than a game in the States so far, does it? Well, it was much different! In America it's all beer, burgers, and bars....here at 7 am it's purple pancakes, mimosas and computers across the apartment all streaming the same game. Luckily, I had companions who were also decked out in purple for this momentous game!

Ready for the 4th quarter with our mimosas!
It's tough being an SEC fan here in Bangkok but I can't live without my football. Just another adjustment to life in this big Eastern city!

Stay tuned for a video update tomorrow on how markets have been affected here in Central Bangkok!

-Blonde in Bangkok

No comments:

Post a Comment