Blonde at a Wat

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thangksgiving Thai Style

   I spent my second Thanksgiving in Bangkok last week (the first was in 2009 when I visited Bangkok for the first time) and it seems everything but normal for a girl from the States.

Waiting for the train at Hua Lamphong in Bangkok...for 2 hours!
   In 2009, on Thanksgiving day I spent two hours on a rickety train (which by the way was also two hours late since they were apparently running on "Thai time") without air conditioning in weather that had to be around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. It was miserable but in the end, like most things that happen here, it was worth it!

Buddhas in a ruined temple in Ayutthaya
Arriving in Ayutthaya was incredible! It's a Thai city filled with gorgeous ruins from a war with Burma. Although it's in ruins, you can see the amazing architecture that existed before the war.

Dim Sum Thanksgiving
We rented a tuk tuk for the day and traveled to several different temples before having Thanksgiving lunch which also was anything but ordinary. We had some kind of dim sum (which I hated and have now, 2 years later, grown to love) and a Pepsi. Although this year my dad and I were together in Ayutthaya, it did not feel like the Holidays. It's HOT outside, there's never any turkey, and we don't set up a tree but I wouldn't give up that Thai Thanksgiving for anything in the world! :)

Next holiday?

Christmas in India...stay tuned!

-Blonde in Bangkok

No comments:

Post a Comment